Hi everyone ! Here's a brief review on the drug Bromocriptine which happens to be one of my favorite drugs. So here goes.
- Bromocriptine is a Dopaminergic agonist , specifically acting on the D2 Receptors.
- It is a very widely used drug , with various and multi systemic uses.
1. Parkinson's disease.
- Bromocriptine and other D2 agonists like Rotigotine , Ropinirole and Pramipexole can be used to treat Parkinsonism.
- They act by providing a sort of replacement for the depleted dopamine in the circuits of the basal ganglia.
- They are quite effective , especially in case of L Dopa resistance , or deterioration of symptoms when on L dopa.
2. Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome.
- NMS is perhaps caused by D2 blockade due to drugs like Haloperidol and Fluphenazine.
- Thus it makes sense if you give this D2 agonist to treat this disorder.
- Dopamine acts as a Prolactin Inhibitory Factor (PIF) at the Hypthalamo-Pituitary level.
- In cases of Hyperprolactinemia where there is gynecomastia and galactorrhea, giving D2 agonists counteracts the elevated prolactin levels.
- Thus it's useful in Anti psychotic/ Metoclopramide induced Hyperprolactinemia.
- Can be used in Ovulation induction due to elevated prolactin by a Pituitary adenoma.
4. Diabetes Mellitus.
- Bromocriptine modulates the Dopaminergic discharge at the Hypothalamus level.
- This modulates the circadian rhythm and resets the abnormal metabolic drive of the Hypothalamus and reduces the insulin resistance.
- The specific Quick Release formulation is used for this indication.
- It may be used in conjunction with Insulin and does not cause hypoglycemia.
- It cannot however be used for DKA
- Inhibits the excess Growth Hormone secretion by acting at the Hypothalamus level.
Hope this helped !
Happy studying and stay awesome!