There are 5 main types of Enzymes in this category. As the name suggests, two of them are Oxidases and Reductases. The other ones are Dehydrogenases, Oxygenases and Peroxidases.
- Oxidases --> Oxidizes a substrate
- Reductases --> Reduces a substrate
- Dehydrogenases --> A double bond is introduced to the substrate, by removal of two H atoms. The H are accepted by a Coenzyme.
- Oxygenase --> Directly incorporates Oxygen into the substrate
- Peroxidase --> Uses Hydrogen Peroxide H2O2 as an electrone acceptor
Question? Yes! Removal of Hydrogen and adding of Oxygen are also considered a type of Oxidation because it increases the oxidation number of the substrate! Pre-Med Organic Chemistry anyone? ;)
See you soon with the other categories guys!
P.S. - Don't confuse Dehydrogenase with Dehydratase!!! We go through that here:)